After their return to Henan in 1901, Jonathan Goforth felt increasingly restless. In 1904 and 1905 he was inspired by news of the great Welsh revival and read Charles Finney’s “Lectures on Revivals”. In 1907, circumstances brought him to witness firsthand the stirring Korean revival (“When the Spirit’s Fire Swept Korea”  represents his response). As Goforth returned to China through Manchuria, congregations invited him back in early 1908. During this extended visit there the “Manchurian revival” broke out. It was the first such revival to gain nationwide publicity in China as well as international repute. The revival transformed Goforth’s life and ministry; from then on he was primarily an evangelist and revivalist, not a settled missionary. He also became one of the best known of all China missionaries, admired by many, but criticized by some for “emotionalism.” [Wikipedia]
As the Wikipedia article notes: “Jonathan Goforth became the foremost missionary revivalist in early 20th-century China and helped to establish revivalism as a major element in Protestant China missions.” This book sets out to explain his thinking on the subject.
Jonathan Goforth [1859-1936], By My Spirit. London & Edinburgh: Marshall, Morgan & Scott, . Hbk. pp.189. [Click to visit the downlaod page].
This title is in the public domain. My thanks to Redcliffe College for providing a copy for digitisation.
- A Season of Intensive Preparation
- The Beginning of fhe Movement in Manchuria
- Further Triumphs of the Spirit in Manchuria
- Repentance and Confession in Shansi
- An Outpouring of Divine Blessing Upon Chantehfu
- The Lord’s Presence and Power in the Chantehfu Out-Stations
- Evil Spirits Defeated and Cast Out in Honan
- Hindrances Swept Away When the Spirit Worked in Chihli
- Further Evidences of the Spirit’s Mighty Work in Chihli
- God’s Dealings With Young People in Shantung
- How Revival Came to the Schools in Kiangsu
- Indispensable Factors in Revival
The Wikipedia article linked above is excellent, but lacks direct links to the books I have available by the Goforth’s listed here. I am not allowed to add them, but perhaps someone else could.