Today’s free book is a reprint of a series on lectures on outreach to Muslims by Bishop Jens Christiensen, the fruit of a lifetime spent in missionary work in Pakistan. This book is in copyright and has been reproduced by kind permission of AWM Pioneers. My thanks to Book Aid for providing a copy of the book for digitisation.
Bishop Christensen spent a lifetime working among Muslim Pathans in the North West Frontier Province of Pakistan. He was probably closer to Pathans both in their thinking and in the use of their language, Pushto, than any other westerner. I had the great privilege of working under him for seven years, and later I succeeded him. As few others he was committed to the Church of Christ and to the apostolate to Islam. His own scholarly study of Islam was profound. Nevertheless, he trusted his experience of the living Islam rather than the academic presentation of it by Western scholars. For his whole life-time he was grappling with Islam as a theological challenge to the Christian Church and its mission. He is one of the very few original thinkers in missiology since the second world war. As a person and as a theologian he was always scrupulously honest and never willing to accept an easy way out unless it was the answer to the problem. This is why Jens Christensen’s books, whether in Danish, English or Pushto, are always interesting and reward the reader. It is due to his efforts that we have a relatively rich Christian literature in Pushto, and his excellent Pushto translation of the New Testament is among the best in any language of the subcontinent.From the Foreword by the Right Rev. Arne Rudvin, Bishop of Karachi, Pakistan
Jens Christensen, The Practical Approach to Muslims. The North Africa Mission, 1977. Pbk. pp.644. [Click here to visit he download page for this title]
- Editor’s Note
Just how are You Going to Approach Muslims?
- Proclamation I
- Proclamation II
Just What are You Aiming at?
- Individual Conversion or Mass Movements
- Preaching, Teaching and Witnessing
- The Muslim Convert in the Church
Just Where Does Your Christian Living Fit in?
- Just Collective and Individual Responsibility I
- Collective and Individual Responsibility II
- Good Deeds in Realtion to Evangelism
- Prayer in Relation to Evangelism
What About the Question of Universiality?
- Is Christianity Universal?
- Is Islam Universal
Is It “A Battle of Books”
- Yes and No
- Inspiration and Revelation
Is it Law or Evangel?
- Wherein Did Christ Differ from the Jews in the Matter of Faith?
- How Does Your Conception of Faith Differ from that of a Muslim?
- Is Islam Law or Evangel?
What About the Dogma of the Holy Spirit?
- Is this Dogma Preachable I
- Is this Dogma Preachable II
- If not Preachable, Then What?
What About the Eternal Sonship of Christ?
- Conceived by the Holy Spirit
- Born of a Virgin
What is Your Attitutude Toward Muhammad?
- Muhammed’s Conception of God in Relation to Yours
- Muhammed’s Conception of Preaching in Relation to Yours
- Muhammed’s Conception of His Book in Relation to Yours
- Muhammed’s Conception of Ethics in Relation to Yours
Why has Christianity Not Developed a Sunnah?
- Just What is Sunnah?
- Is a Christian Sunnah Possible? If nt, Then What?
A Few Comparisons
- Why DOes the Muslim Object to Our Principle of Ethics
- Belief in Allah – Belief in the Father of our Lord
- Belief in Books and Prophets
- Belief in Predestination and Fatalism
- Belief in Judgement and Resurrection